Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Sea Turtle picture a day #40


Welcome back to A Sea Turtle Picture A Day. Today we are traveling down to The British Virgin Islands to Joshias Beach. This young boy became interested in me digging a hole in the sand. What he didn't know when I started was that I was digging up a Leatherback Sea turtle nest that had hatched the day before. I was doing this to count the eggs that had hatched as well as the ones that did not. I was also looking for any hatching's that were still buried in the nest. We found this hatchling near the bottom of the nest. After this picture was taken the hatchling was allowed to crawl down the beach to the ocean.
This picture was taken with a 70-200 mm lens
See you tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Peter,
    Thanks for following along. I am glad that you will share this with your kids.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may gather more informations about Port Blair from :
    http://joshias.blogspot.com/2009/05/port-blair-peals-in-indian-ocean.html

    ReplyDelete