Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Sea Turtle picture a day # 51


Welcome back to A Sea Turtle Picture A Day. I want to welcome our newest follower ACONTECE NEWS to the group. Today we are heading to a very unlikely place to see Sea Turtles. Vancouver Canada. I am a volunteer with the University of British Columbia in the Sea Turtle program. And one of my responsibilities is to take pictures of the turtles. Of all the pictures that I have taken I think that this is my favorite.
The Leatherback sea turtle is the rarest of all the sea turtles.It has a soft shell is in the greatest danger of going extinct.
This particular picture is of a Leatherback sea turtles face and it shows the turtle crying. The turtle is crying salt water tears. The turtle drinks salt water as it is in the ocean. There is a special gland that takes the salt out of the water to allow the turtle to survive. The gland then releases the excessive salt in the form of tears.
This picture was taken with a 60 mm lens
See you tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment